Monday, March 11, 2019

Las Cruces NM 2019: Temporary Home



Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.



In my month-to-month amble from Missouri to Tucson, it has looked like this:

Opelousas, Louisiana
El Paso, Texas


... and then Las Cruces, New Mexico.

As with the El Paso hang-out, my Las Cruces pad resulted from the power of networking. In this case, I met my host back when I lived in El Paso. We both attended a music-related Meetup at one of El Paso's Al Fresco Fridays.

"Drake" has a sharp wit that he uses mostly for good. Sometimes evil. One has to stay on one's toes around him.

Drake's dad, "Beck," lives with him in a DIY assisted-living arrangement.

Drake loves to get out and travel; Beck needs someone on site to support his semi-independence.

While still in Missouri, I thought, heyyyyyyy ..... what would it be like if I were to spend a month in Las Cruces at Drake's house in an arrangement where I could step in to support Beck's at-home independence and Drake could disappear to some global dot for awhile? If Beck, whom I'd previously met, was amenable, it could be a win-win-win!

I called Drake, proposed the idea, he said ..... Yeah!

And six or so months later .....

A roadrunner greeted me upon my arrival at Drake's house!

Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.

... and so did a relative of Drake and Beck's, "Susie," who is a newish nomad herself. Susie was hanging out in Las Cruces waiting for Montana to warm up some more. Thus she was my housemate for the month. Good news for Beck, as he now had two "minders," as he called us, to support his independent living.

Drake had already departed on his semi-plotted road trip when I arrived, which meant that I enjoyed: 


Another comfy bed, vast room, and a wicked-good shower due to its ample size and exhilarating water pressure.

Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.


A nice space for my portable office.


Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.



Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.


 A view of the wrinkly Organ Mountains that I love, with extravagant sunrises thrown in for free.

Las Cruces, New Mexico, temporary home. March 2019.


I am reminded of my early rootlessness, when I was the grateful guest at My Exclusive Vacation Homes on the Missouri Riviera.



No comments: