Saturday, September 15, 2018

Ferguson: Winding Down


Stuff of times past, Jefferson City, Missouri. 2009.



It's mid-September and my year in Ferguson will end on October 31. Time to wind down.

In my annual winding-down times, these are my thoughts:
  • What have I accomplished? What am I proud of?
  • What haven't I accomplished? What do I regret?
  • How was the year different from what I thought it would be? In which ways better? In which ways disappointing? In which ways surprising; neither better nor disappointing?
  • What do I want to do before I leave? 

I inventory my stuff. Make preliminary decisions about what to with it before I leave:
  • Consume?
  • Return to the person who lent it to me?
  • Give it away?
  • Toss?
  • Sell?
  • Take with me, at least for the next leg of my annual relocation?

In my inventory check thus far, I know that one of my tasks will be to organize my electronics paraphernalia. For example, do I really need all six ethernet cables that skulked into my space like feral cats? Isn't it time to let go of that years-old, European-currency router? And that peaceful, Caribbean Sea-colored, turquoise Otter phone case (that cost me a pretty penny!) that fit my old smart phone, which is of a size no longer being made? Time to just let it go, let it go, right? And, yes, it's time to say good-bye to my geriatric HP laptop that I actually replaced two years ago.


Stuff of times past, Jefferson City, Missouri. 2009.

 

Some past inventory experiences

No comments: