Thursday, February 1, 2018

Word of the Year: Courage 2: A Poet Familiar With Fear


Audre Lorde. Art credit: Harriet Faith.



An author friend recently introduced me to the works of the poet, Audre Lorde.

Ms. Lorde had a few things to say about fear:

I want to write down everything I know about being afraid, but I’d probably never have enough time to write anything else. Afraid is a country where they issue us passports at birth and hope we never seek citizenship in any other country. The face of afraid keeps changing constantly, and I can count on that change. I need to travel light and fast, and there’s a lot of baggage I’m going to have to leave behind me. Jettison cargo.


Your silence will not protect you.” From Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches



When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” From The Cancer Journals


and when we speak we are afraid
our words will not be heard
nor welcomed
but when we are silent
we are still afraid
So it is better to speak
remembering
we were never meant to survive
Audre Lorde, The Black Unicorn: Poems


"Sometimes we are blessed with being able to choose
the time, and the arena, and the manner of our revolution,
but more usually
we must do battle where we are standing.”
― Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches


All Word of the Year: Courage posts here.







2 comments:

judy said...

Nice to see a familiar friendly hat on the bed post.

Mzuri said...

Hahahaha! I know which post you're talking about - my petite El Paso apartment! Thank you for stopping by - always a smile to see your face!