Monday, September 4, 2017

Van Horn, Texas: On the Way to Big Bend National Park


Van Horn, Texas. August 2017.


I spent my first night as newly rootless in Van Horn, Texas.

Van Horn, Texas. August 2017.


My first impression of Van Horn was rather ho-hum, but the town revealed whimsical charms in the early evening, after I finished settling into my motel room and then poked about a bit.

Right across the street from my motel was a city park. Mountain backdrop. A train track. Sturdy trees with muscular trunks. Globe lamps that glowed like moons. Squeaky squawky birds that loitered in a circular sand pit like loud adolescents with nothing else to do on a Saturday night except hang out in a park and stir up some trouble.

Van Horn, Texas. August 2017.


Further down the strip was a sculpture park at a business called Los Nogales.  Extra-terrestial insectiles and the like, along with a disheveled desk that looked artsy and intentional in the foreground of the mountain landscape.

Van Horn, Texas. August 2017.



Van Horn, Texas. August 2017.


Listen to these squeakers in the park!




A Van Horn slide show:

Van Horn, Texas




No comments: