Monday, January 9, 2017

El Paso: Sunset Heights, Part 1


Sunset in Sunset Heights, El Paso, Texas. September 2016.

Every time I pull off the Porfirio Diaz exit and into Sunset Heights, I feel good. Every time I walk downtown from Sunset Heights, regardless of which route I choose, I feel good. When I look out and over to Mexico-side from Sunset Heights, I feel good. When I look way over and out to Mt Cristo Rey from Sunset Heights, I feel good.


Sunset in Sunset Heights, El Paso, Texas. September 2016.


Sunset Heights is eye-candy for the architectural-beauty minded. It also has one of the features that I think make a neighborhood the best kind of neighborhood - mixed-income housing. There are grand mansions here and small bungalows. Single-family housing and multi-family housing. UTEP is its neighbor, so there's a diversity of age in the population here.  Sunset Heights has pretty little pocket parks. It's a very walkable neighborhood. There is public transportation that comes through Sunset Heights.

Sunset in Sunset Heights, El Paso, Texas. September 2016.



Within walking distance of Sunset Heights are:
  • UTEP
  • Downtown El Paso (including the library's main branch, the art museum, history museum, Chihuahua team's stadium, etc.)
  • El Paso Community College's Rio Grande campus
  • Pat O'Rourke Recreation Center

Sunset Heights morning, El Paso, Texas. October 2016.


The only thing that's lacking within Sunset Heights are shops, cafes, or bars that make a place truly walkable.

From different points in Sunset Heights, I can see El Paso laid out in the valley below. I can see the mountain range over in Mexico. I can see golden rock faces jutting out from high yards. I can see a beautiful full moon. It's almost like I can see the curve of the earth.

Sunset Heights morning, El Paso, Texas. October 2016.



I can see fat, tall palms. Pinks, whites, reds, and flaming oranges of flowers. I hear the doves.


Sunset Heights morning, El Paso, Texas. October 2016.

Sunset Heights morning, El Paso, Texas. October 2016.


There's just something in the gestalt of it that makes me feel good.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you. Beautifully descriptive. Took me back for a few moments. When we were stationed at Fort Bliss I used to love going up there to look around and feel some soulfulness in the area. "The curve of the earth" exactly. I love it.

Mzuri said...

Gosh, thank you - it is a gift to me that you felt such pleasure at the memories.