Tuesday, January 24, 2017

El Paso: The 915


"I'm from the city of the 915 ..." proclaims Khalid in his song, American Teen.




New Mexicans identify with the zia.

For Louisianans, it's the fleur-de-lis.




For El Pasoans --> it's "the 915." .... Well, at least one of its personalities is the 915.

915 is the El Paso area code. The story I heard was that back in the day, a larger chunk of Texas had the 915 area code, but these days, only El Paso has this area code. Hence, it became a numeric brand for El Paso.


At Tricky Falls, a downtown concert venue, at a concert, an attendee was asked by a band member where she's from and she said," "915." And he said, "What?" And someone had to translate: "El Paso. She's from El Paso."

The only reason I already knew was because the guy at the food truck in front of the Wigwam Museum one night told me about it.


Rebel Grill food truck in front of the Ghosts915 Paranormal Society, El Paso, Texas. September 2016.

He also told me about the "spaghetti bowl" and the chucos. But those are stories for another day.

I live in the 915.




No comments: