Thursday, September 1, 2016

Colorado: Fort Collins: Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area


Wildflower. Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area. May 2016.


Another pretty day and another pretty park.

I sought May wildflowers, found this list, and saw that the Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area in Fort Collins wasn't too far away.

My sister, Murphy, and I popped up there. She dropped me off and I walked the wide, paved trail.

I watched a kestrel as he perused the day's menu. 

Kestrel. Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area. May 2016.


I couldn't get a decent photo, but a clutch of baby coyotes bounced about in the tall grass on a knoll, while staying within calling distance of mama.

I admired the courting flashes (or maybe a territorial protection display against other males) of a red-winged blackbird. I've got some ho-hum stills in the slideshow at the end of this post. But here is a terrific video about the birds from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology:





The Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area is a jewel for Fort Collins. 


A slideshow below:


Cathy Fromme Prairie
Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area. May 2016.



#30

No comments: