Saturday, July 16, 2016

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala: La Iguana Perdida: My Room


Room, La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.

When I looked at the "lake view" from my La Iguana Perdida room, I laughed. Not in a derisive way. In an appreciative, cosmic-joke kind of way. It was like when I sat down on the bed the first time in the Al Uruba Hotel, hidden away in a corner of the Gold Souk in Dubai, and I burst out laughing from the absurdity of discovering that my "mattress," regardless of the fact that it was wrapped in fabric, was surely a table top.


Room, La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.

So anyway, yes, I had a lake view, visible when I stood up and slid my gaze across the corrugated tin roof. I liked it.

Let me show you around the rest of the room:

Room, La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.

Room, La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.

Room, La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


I liked the shelving and the generous door hooks. At the head of my bed were a lamp, an electrial outlet, and a shelf. The hostel provided the blue towels on the shelf. 

For $10, I was very happy, indeed.

As mentioned previously, my main regret was to not have brought a small electric kettle with me so I could enjoy coffee whenever I wanted, instead of having to wait til the restaurant opened at 8 a.m.

There was one interesting incident that occurred in my room. One night, while I lay in bed reading, it came to my consciousness that my bed seemed to be swaying ever so gently and sporadically. It was so slight to almost be my imagination, but no, it was real. Was it my neighbors, having sex? Rather quietly, I'd say, but with enough oomph to cause some movement on the stilted building? Or was it an earthquake, certainly common enough in Guatemala? At a certain point, I did hear a sound that might have signaled a climactic finish... or which could have been a tectonic sigh.





It remains a mystery.


No comments: