Thursday, July 28, 2016

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala: Going Back to Antigua


Walkway between La Iguana Perdida and neighboring property, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


Time to say goodbye to Lake Atitlan and return to Antigua.


Public dock, Panajachel, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


Upon disembarking at the Panajachel dock, I meandered up toward my bus pick-up, taking a different route than I'd used when I arrived at Lake Atitlan a few days before. By chance, I came across a street that one might call the Golden Kilometer of artisan tables, where vendors sold their jewelry, polished stones, leather work, etc. I saw some items that interested me, but they were beyond my budget. There were more than a few nomadic expats selling their wares.

I arrived very early for the bus departure, so I walked over to a cafe down the road, and asked the staff if they could boil a couple of eggs for me. They were happy to do so and even peeled them and put them in a coffee cup with a lid so they'd be bus-ride sturdy. With some of my left-over German bread, they were perfect bus food.


A little bit of Panajachel from my chicken bus back to Antigua below. If you get motion sickness, you might want to take a Dramamine before watching.




The bus trip back to Antigua was uneventful. However, I did have the opportunity to notice again the curious motels I'd seen on the way to Lake Atitlan.

The motels boasted extravagant names of love and queens and romance. Quite outside the box of social conservatism that one associates with Guatemala. More on this later.




No comments: