Saturday, April 18, 2015

Louisiana Lit: First Annual Grand Prairie Rabbit Festival



Credit: Amazon


Hearkening back to a time when I was a book slut, reading whatever happened to be sitting on a table or on a shelf or a nightstand, it came to pass that this book entered my orbit: First Annual Grand Prairie Rabbit Festival, by Opelousas native son, Ken Wheaton.

If you ever read the Lynne Hinton book, Pie Town, then you've pretty much read the First Annual. A regional US culture, a stunt location, a priest involvement, and a fragile character around whom the protagonists and others orbit. In Pie Town, a Tiny Tim prototype plays this role; in First Annual, it's a "sassy black woman."

I couldn't finish Pie Town and I couldn't finish First Annual.

May the Cajun gods not strike me dead, please.

No comments: