Sunday, October 19, 2014

Louisiana: New Iberia: St. Peter's Cemetery

 
St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana

St. Peter's Cemetery is across the street, sort of, from the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office.


St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana



Fictional Iberia Parish sheriff's deputy, Dave Robicheaux, could look out his fictional office window at the cemetery from the imaginary, but real, office. (Later, when the real-life detectives moved from this building to a new sheriff's building behind the library, fictional Dave moved with them.)


St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana


It was a viciously hot day when I visited the cemetery toward the end of July.

St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana


Here's what Dave said:

After lunch I drove to the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Department and went upstairs to my office .... From my second-story office window I could look out on a canopy of palm and live oak trees that cover a working-class neighborhood, and behind the cathedral I could see a cemetery of whitewashed brick crypts where Confederate dead remind us that Shiloh is not a historical abstraction. (Tin Roof Blowdown, 2007)

  
St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana


I saw this marker (below) and wondered, ah, a relative perhaps? My people include some Courtois. The Hebert name is ubuiquitous here; the Courtois name more rare.

St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana


The light was intense the day I visited.

St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana



St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana


Adjacent to the cemetery was some sort of machinery yard. Unlovely. As was the barbed wire fence separating the cemetery and the yard.

St. Peter's Cemetery, New Iberia, Louisiana





No comments: