Thursday, August 22, 2013

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico: Sleeping Beauty

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


Somehow, Eagle Nest Lake State Park park was hiding in plain sight of my do list and my travel plans. It's right there on my list, it's on the maps, yet inexplicably my eyes rolled right over it numerous times without seeing it. Crazy.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico



So when I made a whirlwind park loop last weekend, I had left Cimarron Canyon State Park and was headed to the Viet Nam Memorial State Park when I saw signage for Eagle Nest Lake State Park. Such was the blindness in my mind that I struggled to reconcile the existence of this park right before my eyes.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


The nearby village of Eagle Nest, which overlooks the lake, is touristy to be sure, but its visual congestion is well-contained, and makes a convenient destination for those staying in the park, without being too close.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


The lake, surrounded by mountains, is placid and lovely.  While I visited, there were geese and pelicans in residence. Summer flowers abounded, bordering part of the lake.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


The clean lines and openness of the visitor center maximizes lake views with large windows and a welcoming patio overlooking the lake.



Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


There are campsites here.  If I were going to be in New Mexico longer, I would definitely come back and put up my tent so I could contemplate the lake and the Moreno Valley for days.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico

The docent at the visitor center was informative and proactive in telling me about where I might find good wildlife watching at the park (the Cieneguilla Day Use Area), in addition to sharing some of her favorite parks around the state.

Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico


Eagle Nest Lake State Park, New Mexico






No comments: