Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New Mexico: Aztec Ruins

Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico


The Aztec Ruins, outside of Aztec, New Mexico, have nothing to do with actual Aztecs other than a mistaken assumption at the time of the ruins' discovery that there was a connection.


Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico





Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico
 On the other hand, the Aztec dancers in the U.S. Southwest do have an intentional connection with the Aztecs of Mexico.

















Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico



I'm not much into ruins. Even at Macchu Picchu, I don't recall the ruins so much as the Jurassic quality of the forest below the ruins. Now, that was memorable. From my travel journal:
... the scenery was beyond description. The mountains go on forever, huddled together like so many jostling shoulders. Some of the highest mountains were capped with halos of white clouds and mist. All are covered with greenery, even up to the tops.   Much of the mountains are just plain rock and are covered with a mossy plant. As the day went on, the mist crept lower and lower until it looked like a prehistoric scene; very eerie and beautiful. 







About the Macchu Picchu ruins themselves, I said perfunctorily, "they are very interesting."

Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico


So when I say the Aztec Ruins impressed me, that's saying something. The ruins themselves ... shrug. But there's a quality about the location that speaks somehow.   

I especially felt taken with the reconstructed community kiva. Not the outside of it. In fact, I just realized I didn't even take a photo of it. It looks a little too new for my taste in archeaological remains. (I like my ancient buildings to look old, thank you very much.)

Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico



No, the inside, with its circles and rectangles and light and stairs (new) and shadows create a solemn and restful space.


Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico



I was not even put off by the recorded Navajo prayer-song that you can listen to when you push the appropriate button. The song choice, the quietness of it, both in audability and musicality, was right.


Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico



Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico



Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico

 

Aztec Ruins, Aztec, New Mexico

No comments: