Monday, April 8, 2013

Nageezi, New Mexico: Why Are Lost Dreams So Picturesque?

Nageezi Trading Post, New Mexico



There's a post office in Nageezi, New Mexico, but that's not what drew me off Highway 550 and up to the remains of ... what? A tattered barn with a mural on its side, a panel blowing in the wind, and the decomposing body of a store and gas station.

Nageezi Trading Post, New Mexico


I think the Chaco Inn at the Post was here, too - behind the post office if I go by other sources - but I saw no evidence of it still being in operation, and the most recent reviews in Tripadvisor are from 2005.

Nageezi Trading Post, New Mexico


These remains are on Highway 550 between Bloomfield and Cuba, New Mexico. Nageezi is about 50 miles northwest of Cuba.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use to live there... It was a nice place and a place a kid could look back on and smile. Family ran the store, after five years away I returned and the store was close and many buildings around were left in ruins. Its a shame.

Mzuri said...

Thank you for sharing this. I like that you have smiling memories.

gail_hummingbirdhaven.com said...

My parents owned this store! My brother, Don, took over after my parents retired and he was the postmaster of the new post office that was adjacent to the store that closed. The Inn at the Post was there but my brother died suddenly in 2005 and his daughter and grandchildren continue to live there. I was so happy to find your photos. So many happy memories of all our years there.

Mzuri said...

I can't tell you how pleased I am that my photos touched you. Thank you for writing about your family's experience here.

Anonymous said...

Hi, My Family knew your parents since the store long opened, my parents are in their 80s now, I met your brother, he was a very respectful person, my parents always treated Don as their son, I remember Don such a gentleman. I do wish the place was taken care of though as I believe the location is ancient. Bless you and your Family.