Thursday, March 7, 2013

Portal, Arizona, from Rodeo, New Mexico

Portal, Arizona


I didn't plan to step over into Arizona on my New Mexico bootheel weekend, but it turns out that Rodeo, New Mexico, and Portal, Arizona, are close sisters geographically, socially, and economically. I did drop some money in Rodeo (at the Chiricahua Desert Museum and the Rodeo Grocery and Cafe), contritubiting my small bit toward New Mexico's economic health, but then popped down the road to Arizona.

I liked this interesting fence feature on the road, which is Highway 533 :


The owner of the same fence perches abandoned shoes atop the fence posts.

Highway 533, between Rodeo, NM, and Portal, AZ

Highway 533, between Rodeo, NM, and Portal, AZ


It wasn't too long before I saw that ....whoa. What a difference six miles can make. 
  • Rodeo, sun -- Portal, shade.
  • Rodeo, desert -- Portal, deciduous.
  • Rodeo, austere -- Portal, cozy, inviting.
  • Rodeo, a little depressed -- Portal, cheery, more prosperous

Portal, Arizona


But, lo, the fortunate individual who lives in one or the other, according to her personal taste - the luxury of having two such different climates within 20 minutes of each other! Tired of a Rodeo's stern sun? Go six miles over to Portal and sit under the maternal arms of a giant cottonwood tree. Does your eye crave a change in your town's color palette? Move from the steadying gravitas of Portal's deep red buildings to the airy, light pastels in Rodeo. Enjoy the canopy of tree cover during the day in Portal, but want the open starry skies at night? You got it in Rodeo.

Portal, Arizona

Notwithstanding my deep love for the subtle, soft colorings of the high desert in New Mexico, and for New Mexico's grand sweeps of land bordered by mountain ranges, I am at heart a shade-loving girl, so I was immediately drawn to Portal. In fact, I had the sense I'd been here before.

Portal, Arizona


Part of Portal's charm also is that it is organized around a square of sorts, with several natural gathering spots for residents. There's the cafe, of course, which has a fenced courtyard. There's the New England-ish library that sits prettily behind an immense, white-skinned cottonwood, with the book return trolleys taking in some fresh air on a fine, warm day. A miniature bird "sanctuary" is adjacent to the library.

Portal, Arizona

 There's a post office, too, with signs outside announcing various community news.

Portal, Arizona







In fact, damned if there wasn't a flyer for tai chi classes! Something I've been on the lookout for in Alamogordo, to no avail thus far. Consider that: A city of 35k and no tai chi, versus a village of less than 100 probably, with tai chi.









 


I walked into the library; the librarian was there (who lives south of Rodeo, by the way). What a welcoming space.

Portal, Arizona


Portal, Arizona


The Portal, AZ -- Rodeo, NM website offers a friendly look-see into what life in Rodeo and Portal might be like. If I go by photos, the twin towns look like a very pleasant haven for peri-boomers and boomers. Portal, in particular, seems to have a strong community ethic. ... I wonder how reliable and fast its internet speed is?

I explained to the librarian that I'd like to get into the Coronado Forest, but that it hadn't looked too accessible in NM. She told me that if I continued on my road into Arizona, just a short way, it would be well worth my while ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Portal in 1962-65. The Library was our school; grades 1-8. It was on that playground I learned of JFKs assination. I lived on the AVA Ranch and wondered what had become of it.
Thank you for posting your pictures!

Nancy Blotevogel dhogansheroes@aol.com

Mzuri said...

Nancy! I so loved reading of your memories - and delighted that you enjoyed the pictures! Thank you!