Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rootless Relocation, Part 12: How Much Did it Cost?

I arrived in my new temporary-permanent home town at the end of September. It's the beginning of December, and I think I've now completed my relocation spending. My relocation spending includes: 

  • The cost to travel from Missouri to New Mexico
  • The cost for temporary housing (two nights hotel + six nights camping)
  • Prepayment of first and last month rent
  • Purchases of furniture and other items to make my apartment comfortable

Cost to travel from Missouri to New Mexico

  • Lodging for 2 nights: $118.91
  • Gas: $175.41
  • Food: $39.85

Total = $334.17


Cost for temporary housing

  • Two nights at motel @ $56.26 per night = $112.52.
  • Camping for 6 nights @ $10 per night = $60 

Total =  $172.52


Prepayment of first and last month rent

$475 x 2 = $950


Stuff I bought for setting up housekeeping

  • Broom/dust pan - $12
  • Bucket - $1
  • Hangars - $4
  • Sheets x 2 - $12
  • Pillowcases x 2 - $8
  • Pillow protectors x 3 - $6
  • Sheets x 2 (again) - $12
  • Nightlight - $4
  • Shower caddy - $11
  • Hangars x 3 - $6
  • Ice trays - $2
  • Large plastic "bowls" - $5
  • Coffeemaker - $19
  • Small plastic containers for storage and bowls - $3
  • Slippers x 2 - $13
  • Dryer rack - $5
  • Office chair - $5
  • Popcorn popper - $20
  • Toaster - $8
  • Mirror - $4.5
  • Scanner - $50
  • Air mattress - $46, including shipping
  • Mop - $9
  • Colander - $2
  • Toilet brush - $5
  • Vacuum - $50
  • Lamp - $20
  • Table + 3 chairs - $19
  • Clip-on lamp - $15
  • Hospital beds x 2 and one mattress  - $90 + $35 delivery
  • 2nd mattress - $25
  • Large pot for cooking - $10
  • Bird feeder + plants - $50
  • Tension rod + curtain for opening between den and living room - $25

Total = $611.50

I think the above covers things for the most part.  I could argue for not including the scanner, as that's more in the portability category versus stocking-a-household category, but I figure that $50 will cover some miscellany I've forgotten.



Grand relocation total 

$2068.19


How do I feel about this cost? 

Unsure.

Depends on what goals I had in re: relocation costs. If a goal was to save as much money as possible, then I would have:
  • Foregone the sightseeing in Joplin, thus saved myself a second night in a hotel en route to Alamogordo
  • Invested more time/gas in searching out used household items, e.g. lamps and sheets instead of buying new
  • Foregone the intangible pleasure in the bird feeder and potted flowers
  • Selected the less expensive apartment, saving $75 per month in rent
But while a goal was (and is) to be frugal, it is/was not a goal to deny myself the experience of my Joplin side trip, the daily pleasure of watching the birds at the feeder, the contentment I feel at seeing the flowers' colors outside my french doors, and the complete rightness of the apartment I did select.

It cost what it cost.

No comments: