Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alamogordo: Art and Dirigibles

There was a watercolor & landscapes painting workshop at Oliver Lee Memorial State Park yesterday morning.

I'm not a painter, but how can one live in the gigantic artist colony called New Mexico and not at least make the attempt?

First, Charles Wood, the naturalist-presenter, showed some samples of his work, judiciously pointing out his good and not-so-good work.

Charles Wood, Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, Alamogordo, New Mexico. October 2012.


There were three of us students. We started with a blank canvas.


Charles Wood-led painting workshop, Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, Alamogordo, New Mexico. October 2012.


Charles walked us through a process of painting - mixing colors, perspective for things in the distance versus medium distance versus close up, some brushwork techniques, and creating shadows and foliage.

My finished oeuvre:

Charles Wood-led painting workshop, Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, Alamogordo, New Mexico. October 2012.


There are some things I liked about my work and some things I didn't. It was a fun activity.


On my way to the park, I'd noticed a speck of something in the sky, just perched, as it were, in the air. It made no rational sense. Wasn't a balloon, a plane, or anything else I could guess. While we painted, I looked over my shoulder to see it was still there, and it was, so I asked Charles about it.

A dirigible. A border-watching dirigible that the Border Patrol puts up on good-weather days.

Aerostat blimp being used for border patrol. Credit: Wikipedia

No comments: