Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Where to Go in 2012

The New York Times proposes this list of 45 places to go in 2012.

On my short list for 2012 are

  • More of Georgia (Svaneti, Kazbegi, Vardzia, Davit Gareja, Batumi, Kutaisi)
  • Turkey (Istanbul)
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan (if I can afford the $200+ visa for Americans, which is what we charge Azerbaijanis to come to the U.S.)
  • Iran (if things quiet down to the default level of tension)
  • Albania
  • Mexico
  • Guatemala
  • New Mexico

Some time ago, I wrote about:


I can't get enough of this video on Syria. I love when people mix incongruent features in their art, like when Blind Boys of Alabama sing Amazing Grace to the melody of House of the Rising Sun. In the case of the video below, the creator mixed Syrian images with a Creedence Clearwater Revival song. It works.





And as a lagniappe, here are the Blind Boys of Alabama singing Amazing Grace. I heard them live at the first Roots 'n Blues Festival in Columbia, Missouri. 




What's on your domestic or international travel list?


No comments: