Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Louisiana Road Trip 2011, Part 10: Going Home A



Cottage in Arnaudville. The one on the right.


Piddled around this morning, but made steady progress toward my departure from the cottage. Finally took off just before noon.

Highways 77 and 10, Louisiana


I wanted to retrace some of my route that I'd taken down because it was so pretty. The green, green fields. The marshy waters in people's front yards, with herons. Between Fordoche and Morganza.




I entered new territory when I took a left onto Highway 1 instead of right. By doing this, I forfeited my second view of the beautiful Audubon bridge, but I was drawn by new lands.

Highway 15, Louisiana

I found myself driving along a levee, moving from Hwy 1 to Hwy 15. It's a damned good thing I gassed up in Morganza before I got onto 15. It was a l-o-n-g way between gas stations.  I drove aside a levee and a series of locks, dams and hydroelectric projects (or something) the entire way. The Old River Control Complex. Some interesting sites about same, most with cool pictures: 

Credit: USACE per Urban Decay


Credit: USACE

America's Achilles' heel: the Mississippi River's Old River Control Structure

Morganza Spillway/Floodway and Old River Control Structure

Where Does the Water Go? The Old River Control Structures, Louisiana  (Interesting, this article is from Urban Decay, which I stumbled upon earlier in my trip re: Margaret's Grocery in Vicksburg. I see he has a recent article on Tallulah, LA, a town I also found intriguing. Maybe I should see about linking him to the sad but beautiful disintegration of Old Rustavi.

I saw large white birds with black-tipped wings taking in the waters at the auxiliary structure. High fencing, barbed wire, big padlocks, and what looked like a thick electric-shock cable prevented me from getting a closer look. But I was able to use the office lavatory. Someone had written a sign inside the ladies' room: "If you can't clean up after yourself, then use the woods." Reminds me of a motel room in Memphis, Missouri, that had this sign in every bathroom: "Don't clean game in the sink."

Anyhoo, after an in-car lunch of hard-boiled eggs and a satsuma orange, I proceeded along my way.


Things I saw on the way
  • Logging trucks
  • Three dead hawks roadside
  • Men collecting pecans (evidently a bumper crop this year)
Louisiana - Log yard

Tallulah, Louisiana

On Highway 65, I drove through Tallulah. Two things I noticed right off. A very pretty, wide bayou rolling through town. In the middle of the bayou, for awhile along its length, were wire Christmas trees with lights. I'd love to see those at night reflecting on the water. The other thing I noticed were the lightpost banners marking Black History Month. They were a striking design: red, black, and white with a drawing of Martin Luther King, Jr.  I wish I remembered what the poster said exactly, because whatever it said gave me the impression of a town that really celebrated the month in a wholeheartedly, appreciative way. Whether or not that's the reality, who knows?

Lake Providence, Louisiana

Lake Providence is another pretty town in Louisiana. Highway 65 (just north of Translyvania.) I liked the fishing huts, piers, and later, houses, that jutted out over the water.  Another place I'd like to revisit some day.


Back in Greenville, MS

I made it to Greenville, Missisippi for the night. Stayed at a Days' Inn that had a surprisingly nice room. Newly remodeled. Decent bed, nice looking furniture, new TV. Fridge. Free wifi. Alas, no microwave. Very clean. Only $60, including tax.



No comments: