Sunday, October 2, 2016

Toronto: Chickens


Whole-headed chicken, Chinatown, Toronto, Ontario. June 2016.


In Toronto, you gotcher chickens:
  • Whole-headed
  • Half old 
  • Black
  • Air-chilled

"Half old." Refers to the sale of half of a chicken that was old? Or refers to a whole chicken that was middle-aged? Or adolescent?

Half old chicken, Chinatown, Toronto, Ontario. June 2016.


Ah, I thought, when I saw the black chicken. I've seen this before on Food Channel's Chopped.

Black chicken, Chinatown, Toronto, Ontario. June 2016.


And then there was the "air-chilled" chicken:

Air-chilled chicken, downtown Toronto, Ontario. June 2016.


The "air-chilled" chicken label puzzled me. A euphemism for formerly frozen? Or simply refrigerated and never frozen? But I have since educated myself and, holy giblets, who knew?

A video explanation below:



Hint: the video isn't talking about the fresh breeze those free-range hens are getting out in the pasture.


No comments: