Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala: La Iguana Perdida: Some Louisiana and Missouri


Books. La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


I mentioned here that La Iguana Perdida seems to attract readers and that it has a library off of the dining room/bar.

How sweet it was to run into good friends here!

To wit:


Books. La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


Missouri writer, Daniel Woodrell, is an author I consider to be an Ozarkian Shakespeare because of the eloquence of his language and the universality of his themes. He wrote Winter's Bone, which, of course, became an Oscar-nominated movie, starring Jennifer Lawrence. And Woe to Live On, related to the domestic terror in Missouri and Kansas circa Civil War. (This was also made into a movie, but it did zero justice to the novel.)

Sidebar: Although Anthony Bourdain has fallen out of favor with me, I share this for those who are still charmed --> Mr. Bourdain is a big fan of Mr. Woodrell's, and even wrapped one of his No Reservations episodes around Mr. Woodrell and his Ozark culinary roots. Unfortunately, this episode, which could have been so rich, was just plain dull. And I wasn't alone in this opinion


Books. La Iguana Perdida, Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. April 2016.


Anyhoo. Moving on. I also met Mr. James Lee Burke in the library, my cultural guide for my first year in South Louisiana, through his very-flawed protagonist, Dave Robicheaux.

Daniel Woodrell and James Lee Burke both write about our American underclass. They do so with compassion but without romanticism. They shine a harsh light on those among us who profit from the poor and systemically-disenfranchised, whether it be politically, financially, or socially.

Well. This is leading me into a dark place, and I don't want to go there today.

What I want to express is how pleasing it was to see my Louisiana and Missouri friends at La Iguana Perdida in Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. So I'll leave it at that.


No comments: