Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Opelousas: Breathe It: Sebastien's West End Seafood


When I saw the fish flashing, I wondered how I could have missed it so many times before.


Sebastien's West End Seafood. Opelousas, Louisiana.


Everything about the sign pleased me. That glittering like the sun. The black and caramel and mother-of-pearl-white of the fat fish. The cheeriness of the chartreuse border and the joyful blue dots and lines. Gosh.

Of course, I had to pull over.

And then I could see all the colors and textures of flowers and foliage in front and on the side. Bright apple green and deep burgundy leafy cheer of sweet potato vines. Happy yellow lettering on windows. A banana tree. With bananas!

Sebastien's West End Seafood. Opelousas, Louisiana.


And then, and then, when I walked into the store. ...  Deep breath. An aromatic slap from the sea, of fish dead and alive, that briny salty attractant-repellant somethingness that explains why a dog likes to roll in half-putrfied, dead fish on a beach.

A sensory storm, this place.

Below is a slide show:



A shout-out to staff member Walter and his colleagues for their friendly patience while I absorbed it all.

No comments: