Friday, July 20, 2012
Istanbul: Kind of Like Cincinnati
|Cincinnati skyline. Or Istanbul? Photo credit: bophoto.com|
Yes, the language is different. Many of the women wear different clothing. The places of worship look different. It's hard to find barbecued pork. Istanbul's got really cool street trams. There are about 12 million more people in residence. And its history is longer.
But other than those things, Istanbul's kind of like Cincinnati.
- 70% of cars (other than taxis) have only the driver inside; 20% may have two people; 10% have more than two
- Shopping malls
- McDonald's, Burger King, Sbarro
- Families grilling and picnicking in the park
- Children's playgrounds
- Couples walking hand in hand
- Kiddos having their hair mussed and faces kissed
- Ice cream cones
- Bridges and water