Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Elton, Louisiana: On My Way to the Powwow: A Glory of Pink Spoonbills


Roseate spoonbills, Elton, Louisiana. June 2015.


I was on my way to the Coushatta Powwow in Kinder, Louisiana. I'd already stopped for a look-see at the Savoy Saturday Cajun Jam, and despite the drizzle, I was feeling good, and things just got better when I spied - holy moly! - roseate spoonbills trolling for crawfish right before my eyes!


Roseate spoonbills, Elton, Louisiana. June 2015.


As a detached observer, I get to appreciate the birds' pink beauty and grace, while farmers who raise the crawfish in their commercial ponds might view the birds as thieves. There were other partners in crimes present, as well:

Roseate spoonbills, Elton, Louisiana. June 2015.


Roseate spoonbills derive their pink color from the crawfish shells they consume.

Roseate spoonbills, Elton, Louisiana. June 2015.


I love that we will soon have a new postcard-stamp series with birds, including the spoonbills:

June 2015 release of USPS postcard stamps, coastal birds. Credit: USPS

Here's one of two videos I took of the spoonbills feeding:




Both videos become annoyingly jerky in movement, and not in that artistic cinema-verité way. But the first 10-15 seconds give you a terrific glimpse into the activity.

What a treat for me to see these birds alongside the road!

No comments: