Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Alamogordo, NM: The Disappearing (and Appearing) Mountains Revisited


In 2013, when I was living in Alamogordo, New Mexico, it was like magic to witness how the Sacramento Mountains - so close! - could appear and disappear depending on clouds, rain, or dust conditions.

In March 2013, I published the post below. But I added the second video only a few days ago, as it had been lost somewhere in my archives. Both show me driving east on Indian Wells in Alamogordo - once on a clear day, and another time on a day during a dust-wind storm.

ALAMOGORDO: THE DISAPPEARING MOUNTAINS

I live perhaps half a mile - maybe less! I will clock it - from a front line of the Sacramento Mountains.

My apartment is oriented north-south, and I'm near the easternmost edge of town, and whether I look out my front window or back window, I see the mountains right there, so very close.

Alamogordo, New Mexico, 2013

The constancy of their presence is pleasing. I like to see how a day's changing light creates shadows on the mountain planes, shifting colors and depths in interesting ways.

Alamogordo, New Mexico, 2013

Some days the mountains disappear.


Alamogordo, New Mexico, 2013
Could be dust or snow or fog. It's uncanny.

The other day, I took the video below going east on Indian Wells to show how a dust-wind can completely obscure the Sacramento Mountains. You're looking right at the mountains in this video - but you can't see them, not til about 1:24.



Below is a video of the exact same route on a clear day. Mountains!





No comments: