Thursday, October 16, 2014

Rootless: It's Getting to be That Time Again

It's mid-October and my year in South Louisiana is almost up.

It means consolidating spices. I know, I know, this may make some foodies cringe, the idea of pouring leftover spices into one container. Also, I'm not gifted in knowing which spices complement each other, so it's a gamble if it will work out OK. As long as salt is involved, however, it's good enough for me.

Here's my current list of things I'll need to consume, release or decide to keep before I quit my 2014 spell in South Louisiana (notice how carefully I am wording that): 

  • Spices (consolidating as already noted)
  • Four side chairs
  • Folding table (large)
  • Full-length mirror
  • Mardi Gras beads! 
  • Salvaged cabinet
  • My wonderful red "bed" 
  • Tent + tarp
  • Camp stove
  • Sleeping bag
  • Tea
  • Canned soup
  • Coozies
  • Coffee mug
  • Various pots and pans
  • Vacuum cleaner (which worked when I left New Mexico and then, inexplicably, didn't when I arrived in Louisiana - probably an easy fix)


For now, I'll keep these as part of my rootless trousseau:

  • Bed linens
  • Bath towels/cloths
  • Dish towels
  • Plastic, child-size plates/cups
  • Stainless flatware
  • Folding table (small)
  • Tension curtain rod
  • Fabric shower curtain
  • Plastic storage drawers on wheels
  • Technical devices
  • Shelf stereo
  • Two coffee mugs (one from New Mexico and one from South Louisiana)
  • Two folding canvas chairs

At the end of November, I'll return to Missouri for a one- or two-month visit before going to my 2015 base (which is kinda open for grabs again). My car will be significantly lighter this year than last.

In September 2013, here were lessons learned in my New Mexico year about furnishing a temporary home. Below are two views of what I packed into my car when leaving Alamogordo:

What I took with me when I left New Mexico

What I took with me when I left New Mexico

If I decide to do another domestic turn for 2015, I think I'll do some of my second-hand shopping in Missouri and carry it with me to my new place. The difference between second-hand Lafayette and second-hand Alamogordo was a shocker, both in price and selection. Second-hand Lafayette is more expensive than Alamogordo and Lafayette's selection of household items is abysmal.


  


No comments: