Friday, January 3, 2014

Louisiana: Palmetto Island State Park: Pigs and Swamp

Palmetto Island State Park, Louisiana


Some of the Louisiana parks participated in the First Day Hike program, and Palmetto Island State Park was one of them.

Feral pigs at Palmetto Island State Park, Louisiana


A hiking companion and I, and her kiddos, were the only ones to do go on the park's First Day Hike. (It was a little rainy today.)

Feral pigs at Palmetto Island State Park, Louisiana


I saw my first feral pigs. Smaller than I expected, but these were the sows, their little 'uns, and adolescents. I guess the boars can get pretty large (100-400 pounds) with tusks. The boars are loner types. The sows and young ones form groups called "sounders."






Pleasant Road, which leads to the park from State Road 82, has a stretch of swamp that's very pretty.




Did you notice the pretty yellow flowers? In January!

Pleasant Road near Palmetto Island State Park, Louisiana


There's a guided canoe trip at the park on the first Sunday of every month. I signed up for the next one.

Palmetto Island State Park, Louisiana


No comments: