Saturday, January 11, 2014

Louisiana Movies: The Apostle


The Apostle. From: IMDb


Movie: The Apostle

Provenance: Filmed around St. Martinville, Louisiana, and a couple of other places.

Hm, I dunno. When I streamed it down from Netflix a couple of weeks ago, I realized about five minutes in that I'd already seen the movie, or at least part of it. Couldn't remember how it went. Which told me it must not have been that memorable. And, indeed, it became a little like homework to watch it.

There's no doubt Robert Duvall was the center of this drama; he dominated almost every scene. Almost every scene. The actor who played Rev. Charles Blackwell, John Beasely, quietly held his own, an understated counterweight against Mr. Duvall's manic, narcissistic persona. Farrah Fawcett, Billy Bob Thornton and Miranda Richardson were drawings barely colored in.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how much Louisiana factored into the story. It seemed little more than a prop. 

Recommend? Shrug.





    



No comments: