Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lafayette: 2nd Saturday Artwalk: January 2014: Louise Guidry



Louise Guidry, Lafayette, Louisiana


The Jefferson Street Branch of the Lafayette Public Library, downtown, participates in the 2nd Saturday Artwalk.

The library showcases a different artist each month.

For January 2014, that artist was Louise Guidry.

Generally speaking, many (most?) women don't like to go around broadcasting their age (and I fully endorse this approach), but I noticed that once my grandmother turned 80, she was totally fine with revealing hers. I've noticed my mother is the same, as I imagine I will be in due time.

Anyway, Ms. Guidry is 83 years old. She got a Bachelor's in Fine Arts in her late 50s, adding that to a degree in education she acquired in earlier years. 

I was particularly taken with the work at the top of this post. It's a view from Highway 31, which Ms. Guidry says is a long-standing source of inspiration to her.

I'm going to have to take a drive down Highway 31. Indeed, Travel & Leisure took note of it in an article, America's Most Iconic Drives, adding:  
... Some of these roads are justifiably famous, including what’s arguably America’s most scenic drive: California’s Route 1, around the town of Big Sur. Rocky cliffs plunge down to open ocean, creating a severe distraction while you navigate this narrow road.

Other roads may not be household names, but are nevertheless an integral part of the American fabric. Highway 31, west of New Orleans, takes you through classic Louisiana countryside, past lazy bayous and swampy lagoons filled with alligators and herons.


Louise Guidry, Lafayette, Louisiana




No comments: