Friday, November 22, 2013

Louisiana: Settling In



“Settling in” is a euphemism for spending a lot of money the first few days of a move-in. What I bought the first two days:

Non-perishables

  • Toaster ($12)
  • Full-length mirror ($6)
  • Step stool that will serve as step stool, foot rest, and side table for the veranda outside ($9)
  • AA battery replenishment
  • Swiffer system – all my floors are vinyl ($20) + pad/soap refills
  • Colander ($2)
  • Dishwasher detergent ($4)
  • Small plates in the infant section – (five for $4)
  • Small glasses with lids in the infant section – (five for $3)
  • 62-oz size plastic food storage ware that I use for large bowls, such as for salads
  • Roaster pan for doing up my chickens and occasional turkey ($8)

Food

  • Turkey on sale @ .69 per pound … Thanksgiving, you know
  • Two roaster chickens
  • Large bags of frozen brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and baby peas
  • Large bag of frozen “tropical” fruit mix
  • Plain, nonfat yogurt
  • Pumpernickel bread
  • Onions
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Bag of frozen sweet potato patties
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Green peppers
  • Cucumbers
  • Coffee
  • Eggs
  • Pam spray
  • Cooking oil
  • Sugar-free blackberry jam

Ouch, my wallet hurts!

What hasn’t translated to Louisiana from New Mexico

  • My shower/tub already has a shower curtain and rod, so there’s no need for the tension rod and curtain I bought in New Mexico, which I used to partition off my den from the living room.
  • I’m going to try and use my vacuum sweeper, bought in New Mexico, in my new place instead of buying a broom and dustpan. We’ll see.

What I’ve been able to re-use from New Mexico or prior purchases

  • Coffee maker
  • Flatware
  • Work table
  • Desk lamp
  • Cutting board
  • Spices
  • Measuring cups and spoons
  • Shelf stereo
  • Plastic 4-drawer, rolling storage cabinet
  • Skillet, some pots, baking sheet, and a small square cooking pan
  • Large stainless bowl
  • Vacuum sweeper (hopefully)
  • Twin-size sheets, pillowcases
  • Blankets
  • Pillows

As in New Mexico, I use my storage bins as side tables.

Still to get

  • Second-hand table for dining and to do artwork
  • Second-hand chairs for dining and guests
  • Second-hand office chair for working

I’ll get an air bed for visitors, but I won’t get one (or two) til right before they arrive.

I’ll work up my total relocation expenses in the near future.

No comments: