Saturday, October 5, 2013

New Mexico: Goodbye to Highway 54

As I drove north on Highway 54 for the last time in my year of New Mexico, I went through the same towns I passed through so many times in the past year:



As usual, I stopped at the Allsup's in Carrizozo at the intersection of Highways 54 and 380. In exchange for the use of the facilities, I bought my 25-cent banana. Kudos to c-stores that sell fresh fruit!

Antique store next to Allsup's, Carrizozo, New Mexico
 

As I whipped by Duran, I blinked acknowledgement at the green eyes.

Duran, New Mexico


I made another common stop for another bio break at the station in Corona, kind of in the middle of nowhere (but isn't so much of New Mexico in the middle of nowhere?), where I bought my customary can of Diet Coke for 85 cents. (Pity, no fresh fruit here. But the proprietors are as friendly as those in Carrizozo.)


Corona, New Mexico


Some time before Vaughn, I felt wistful at the sight and sound of a southbound train. New Mexico is so much about trains.


Highway 54 between Corona and Vaughn, New Mexico



 And how could I not turn around and appreciate this derelict on the plain?

Highway 54 between Vaughn and Santa Rosa, New Mexico

Highway 54 between Vaughn and Santa Rosa, New Mexico

Highway 54 between Vaughn and Santa Rosa, New Mexico

Highway 54 between Vaughn and Santa Rosa, New Mexico


The waving grass, the wind, prompted me to capture the moving version.




It still gives me pleasure to think I can get onto Highway 54 in Jefferson City, Missouri, and follow it through New Mexico, through Alamogordo - my home for one year - to El Paso, Texas.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Robin McD

Mzuri said...

Thank you. What a beautiful place, yes? How lucky I feel to have lived within all this beauty.