Saturday, August 10, 2013

The releasing cycle begins again

With less than two months remaining in my New Mexico term, I've started releasing stuff.

So far, the stuff is small - odds and ends that others might want or that I simply toss. Like two glass jars with lids. Some dark chocolate cocoa powder. 

I'm putting things into a donation bag - clothes, a knife, and a crafty gadget so far.

I'm eager to know if I'll end up with a net loss, net gain, or the same amount of stuff when I leave New Mexico as when I arrived.

Stuff I brought with me that I've already released include
  • A full box of paperback sci-fi classics
  • A very large, framed poster
  • Some shoes

But I've accumulated some stuff that I'll take with me
  • Vacuum sweeper
  • Two small lamps
  • Small printer
  • Scanner
  • Toaster
  • Coffee maker
  • Sheets
  • Pillows

OK, I can see right off the bat that I'm going to have more stuff leaving with me than when I arrived, unless I get more brutal. I'll have to balance the replacement cost of an item against the "real estate" cost it consumes inside my car. I may be saying good-bye toaster, good-bye coffee maker. About 30 bucks to replace you.    


I've accumulated some furniture that I will release before I move:
  • Two vintage nursing-home beds - that you crank by hand
  • Table
  • Office chair
  • 3 molded chairs
  • Popcorn popper
  • Three flower pots
  • Bird feeder
  • Shepherd's hook
  • Heavy winter coat
  • Mirror
  • Drying rack for clothes

I'm lucky that a friend is giving me a chair-bed that will hopefully fit into my car. It's a very chic - red contemporary piece - will be perfect in my new Spartan quarters in my new home base. I think it's an easy calculation that its consumption of space in my car will be more economical than buying another bed (not to mention its convertability as a chair) in my new place.

We'll see.





 

No comments: