Friday, July 20, 2012

Istanbul: Kind of Like Cincinnati

Photo credit: bophoto.com


Yes, the language is different. Many of the women wear different clothing. The places of worship look different. It's hard to find barbecued pork. Instanbul's got really cool street trams. There are about 12 million more people in residence. And its history is longer.

But other than those things, Istanbul's kind of like Cincinnati.
  • 70% of cars (other than taxis) have only the driver inside; 20% may have two people; 10% have more than two
  • Shopping malls
  • McDonald's, Burger King, Sbarro 
  • Families grilling and picnicking in the park
  • Children's playgrounds
  • Couples walking hand in hand
  • Kiddos having their hair mussed and faces kissed
  • Ice cream cones
  • Bridges and water
  • Suburbs

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, it's Alicia the Iowan you met outside the cafe in Kutaisi. We're in Istanbul for a while and if you're still here too, we'd love to meet you for dinner (or whatever)! Email: arDELETE-THIS-PARTstreeter@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Wait, I didn't do that right; let me try again...

LADY! YES PLEASE, WELCOME! I HAVE MANY DELICIOUS FOODS.

How can you turn down an offer like that? We're here through the end of the month.

-A

Mzuri said...

I'm only interested if you're food is THE BEST IN ALL OF TURKEY! Also, are you married? What do you want to buy? I'm not a tour guide. Really. Don't go down that street - there's NOTHING TO SEE THERE. I just have one question!

Haha ... anyway, I got back to Missouri last week, but am still processing Istanbul. Hope you're enjoying it. I think my favorite place in Istanbul was Heybeliada Island.

Now that I think of it, I thought I was following your blog, but apparently not - I need to rectify that.