Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Svaneti, Part 3: Road to Mestia

Svaneti: Road to Mestia


When we hopped off the train, there was Sparrow. She and I had been communicating for the past hour via phone, so she knew when we were to arrive and had lassoed us a marshrutka for the next leg of our trip.

Side note: Sandy, Sparrow, and I are with TLG (Teach and Learn with Georgia). Now that I've been in Georgia awhile, it's easy to take for granted the phones we received from TLG when we began our tenures. We can call any other TLGer or TLG staff at no charge. Being in a foreign country, having this phone is a real benefit. Yup, we pay to fill up the prepay accounts, but it's still a tremendous value.

... and off were on our 2.5 or 3-hour drive to Mestia, the best-known town in Svaneti. We paid 20 lari per person for this private charter.

I'll be quiet now and let the photos tell the story of our drive:


2 comments:

Jen2010 said...

Still my favourite place in Georgia I think!

Mzuri said...

I think my favorite place so far is Borjomi. Just loved the trees, the river, the loamy,piney earth, the smells ....

But I still have Kazbegi, the Kutaisi caves, and Shatili to go!

What has been a 2nd highlight for you?