Friday, February 17, 2012

Rustavi: Food Poisoning

Credit: Food Poisoning Symptoms Info


This morning, I called T, one of my police students, to let her know I'd be unable to be in class today.

It was an opportunity to increase her English vocabulary with the words diarrhea and vomiting.

Last night, I was struck with food poisoning, a first for me. Cramping stomach, diarrhea, nausea and then vomiting, shivering with cold even though I curled up under two duvets, embracing my hot water bottle. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

During my many sojourns to the bathroom, while shivering and clutching my abdomen, I reflected on:
  • Yesterday's conversation with Justina, a TLG colleague, about the courseness or fineness of Georgian toilet paper. I felt grateful that the 55-tetri toilet paper was on hand versus the 30-tetri product.
  • The experience of another TLG colleague, Hannah, who had to flick ice off of the toilet seat in her host family's house before using it.
  • And, thank God, I had an inside toilet to use, instead of traipsing through a frigid yard to a frigid outhouse. I cannot even imagine it. I think I would have had to find a bucket in that situation.

With morning came some relief, but I stayed in bed til about 3:00 p.m. 

The idea of ingesting the local cure, chacha with some salt, made me grimace this afternoon, but I may take a shot of same before I go to bed tonight.



No comments: