Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dubai: The Creek - Deira Side

  
The Creek, Dubai, UAE


Wearing my new gold necklace, I walked along the Creek. The Creek cuts through a part of Dubai, requiring you to drive under it through a tunnel or over it via a water taxi, to get from one side to another.  

The Creek, Dubai, UAE


I walked by small and large boats. Tourist boats, taxis, and cargo vessels. In the distance, I could even see cruise ships, but they were actually on the Gulf and not the Creek. In some parts, the Creek was very shallow and I could see the bottom easily, maybe only a two or three feet deep.

The Creek, Dubai, UAE


There is a customs wharf along the Deira side of the Creek. I saw boxes of items that had been off-loaded or maybe awaited on-loading.

Air conditioners on Dubai Creek wharf


The ships had colorful 'houses' at their aft end.

The Creek, Dubai, UAE


I saw these dirty, beat-up old office chairs on the wharf. Were they coming or going? To where?

The Creek, Dubai, UAE

I liked the contrast between these very old-style boats and the modern city along the Creek.

The Creek, Dubai, UAE

The Creek, Dubai, UAE


Some other scenes from the Deira side of the Creek:

The Creek, Dubai, UAE

The Creek, Dubai, UAE

The Creek, Dubai, UAE
The Creek, Dubai, UAE



I took a water taxi - an abra - to the other side of the Creek. It cost one dirham (about 30 cents).


The Creek, Dubai, UAE

Riders sit on the raised platform, probably about 10 people to each side. The 'taxi driver' sits in that square opening in the middle.



No comments: