Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tulsa: On Things Oklahoman and Vodka, Lime, and Soda



[2010 Out West Road Trip.  Travels with Carol.]

In March 2010, my mother, Carol, and I took a road trip from Missouri to New Mexico, in search of sun and warmth. Here is the Missouri to Tulsa log, along with comments from readers.   


Wednesday, 3 march 10
 
Warrenton to Tulsa. Reports written under the influence of vodka, lime, and soda. 

 
MZURI'S REPORT
Left Warrenton ~ 6:30 a.m. Picked up coffee at the Conoco - my usual hazelnut and Carol's doctored coffee with cream and pink stuff.
 
I was pretty drowsy, along with having a bit of a headache, for the first couple of hours til the caffeine kicked in. Perfect driving weather.  
  
Thomas Moran. Credit: National Gallery of Art
Arrived in Tulsa ~ 1:30. Went directly to Gilcrease Museum, home of the WORLD'S largest collection of western art. Carol and I agreed we especially liked Thomas Moran's work. I also liked Charles Banks Wilson. We agreed George Catlin appeared --- amateurish. This surprised us.
 
Once finished with the museum, we left Tulsa. We landed for the night in Stroud, OK, at a Best Western. Indifferent dinner.

 


 
CAROL'S REPORT
Trip sounds pretty boring except for the part about the vodka.  We are pretty close to Oklahoma City and looking forward to breakfast here at the motel which they promise is excellent and prixe fixe at $3.50.  At the Hood place yesterday I experienced what they called B & G which turned out to actually be biscuits and gravy - lots of white gravy with no sausage or flavoring.  However, since it came with scrambled eggs, half a slice of excellent ham, a large helping of fried potatoes and a roll found it not necessary to sample more than a bite.  We may find it necessary to communicate with our readers less frequently under the circumstances. 

 
RESPONSES TO DAY'S TRIP REPORT 


FROM STORMY:
WOW! I can taste the vodka, lime, and soda even at this early hour. I can hardly wait to see what happens next. Please don't hold back. I am keeping your writings and use your recommendations on books, music, art, food, drink and places to see before I get too old to travel. ....
 
Happy Trails to you until we meet again...(seemed fitting).
 

FROM SHILO GIRL:
Not a very auspicious beginning to this trip. I predict an early return.


FROM HOLSTEIN GUY:
I spent some time with Stormy Sunday afternoon and I found her to be pithy.


FROM JACK:
I predict... Upon arrival in Las Cruces, they soak the car upholstery with what remains of their vodka and toss a match as they walk into a Aztec-looking diner called McDonaldo's.


FROM NYC:
That actually sounds about like every trip I've made to Oklahoma (or, through Oklahoma).  Bland food, bland people.  And when I see those signs that say "Do not drive through smoke," I see them as the pitiful attempt they are to keep me in the Sooner state later than I would prefer.  So I tighten my seat belt, lower my speed (not too much), and keep it movin.'  I look forward to hearing your next update.  Be safe.


FROM LABARQUE:
How wonderful sometimes to appreciate the bland.  Just enough bland can be savored as an escape from the dramatic.  May you find perfect bland in just enough quantities that the occasional drama is an adventure. This written from one who would loved to be bored rather than stressed right now.
Have fun, and I think I might go home tonight and remind myself what vodka is like.


FROM SHILO GIRL:
This is in a huge contrast to my experiences in Oklahoma. 
 
Nice people, good drinks, nice weather. Loved Tulsa, what a fun town.  lots of museums, good places to eat, huge theatre, loads of Starbucks... and another little town I don't remember the name of but it was historic and really cool.  all the brick was the color of dark clay. ... went there while Meems was at a barrel racing competition.  Was west of Oklahoma City....


FROM ARROWHEAD:
Not to mention the tornadoes, dust storms, hot summers, ice storms, lack of sports, boring landscape, and the fact that most homes are trucked in instead of being built. All things that we don't have to worry about nearly as much in Missouri.


FROM STORMY:
Really, well I'll remember that the next time...gloves are off, Holstein.


FROM SHILO GIRL:
I like being pithy. I like this definition:  Precisely meaningful; forceful and brief.


FROM STORMY:
Yea.


No comments: